The Library is pleased to be able to offer a number of services specifically for the seniors in our community.
Library Services & Programs for SeniorsThe library provides a wide variety of materials and services, including: public access computers, free Internet access, videos, books, magazines, large-print books, audiobooks, interlibrary loan, and more...! Visit our Services Page for a complete list of library services »
Large print and talking books are available at the library. These books feature novels of romance, mystery, adventure, westerns, historical fiction as well as non-fiction titles.
These collections provide recreational reading for people whose physical or visual disability might limit their use of regular books.
We offer a home delivery service to residents who are unable to visit the library due to disability, long-term illness, or caregiver responsibilities.
[Add something about availability]
Contact us for more information »
COMPUTERS & INTERNET
The library provides free high speed, wireless access to the Internet via public workstations. Sessions begin on the hour and you may sign up for one session per day of up to 60 minutes.
Free computer training with a volunteer is also available.
Learn more »
Websites for SeniorsAre you looking for senior-friendly information? We've compiled some links and sites just for you!
FUN & GAMES
- Happy Neuron - enjoy brain Fitness through entertaining games that are fun and scientifically developed to challenge your brain.
- My Senior Site - exercise your brain with these fun, challenging quizzes.
- Games for the Brain - play neverending quiz, memory & brain games to train your thinking.
- Braingle.com - brain teasers, riddles, quizzes, trivia, logic problems and mind puzzles.
- Canadian Senior Years - find the best information, articles, news and Canadian site links available for seniors on the web today!
- Catalist: The Canadian Network for Third Age Learning - a bilingual, Canadian network of older adult learning organizations that fosters and promotes third age learning through shared knowledge, expertise, research, and resources.
- Internet Public Library: Seniors - links and information for seniors.
- Statistics Canada: A Portrait of Seniors in Canada - a closer look at the lives of Canadian seniors.
- Third Age - leading online lifestage media, marketing and consumer insight company exclusively focused on serving today's dynamic population of adults in mid-life who are intent on living life to its fullest.
- Wired Seniors - Over 5,000 links to sites of interest relevant to your lifestyle. The only search directory exclusively for the over 50 age group.
GOVERNMENT PROGRAMS & SERVICES
- Local Community Care Services - Non-profit assisting seniors and adults with disabilities to remain independent in their own homes and communities.
- Canada Benefits - your Internet doorway to government-wide information about benefit programs and services for individuals.
- Charities Directorate - search the list of registered Canadian charities.
- National Advisory Council on Aging - all matters related to aging and the quality of life of seniors.
- Ontario Government Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care - community and residential care services for seniors.
- Ontario Seniors’ Secretariat - learn more about programs and services for Ontario seniors.
- Seniors Canada Online - federal information services such as taxes, pensions.
- Veterans Affairs - links to programs and services for veterans.
HEALTH & WELLNESS
- Alzheimer Society of Canada -- information about the disease and related dementias, caregiving, research, news, events and more.
- Arthritis Society -- information about the disease, tips for living well, research, news, programs and services, and more.
- C-Health -- from the Canoe network, providing consumers with objective, accurate, and current healthcare information on the web.
- Canadian Hearing Society -- the only national not-for-profit organization supporting Canadians who are hard of hearing.
- CNIB -- services for the sight-impaired.
- Division of Aging and Seniors -- from the Public Health Agency of Canada, providing federal leadership in areas pertaining to aging and seniors. The Division serves as a focal point for information and centre of expertise.
- Healthy Ontario -- seniors section of the health resource website from the Ontario provincial government.
- Heart and Stroke Foundation -- preventing and reducing disability and death from heart disease and stroke through research, health promotion and advocacy.
- Long Term Care Planning Network -- resources designed to make your life as a caregiver easier.
- Osteoporosis Canada -- educates, empowers and supports individuals and communities in the risk-reduction and treatment of osteoporosis.
- Public Health Agency of Canada -- access timely, trusted and credible public health information through a single source.
MONEY & FINANACE
- Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) -- section for 55 and over.
- CHIP -- the reverse mortgage program for seniors.
- Income Security Programs -- from the federal government.
- Retirement Advisor -- a variety of online tools for calculating retirement scenarios.
- Tax information slips -- for recipients of OAS and CPP benefits.
TRAVEL & LEISURE
- Bed and Breakfast Canada -- Canada's complete bed and breakfast web server.
- Canadian Snowbird Association -- for seniors who travel. Information about health insurance, travel tips and more.
- Elderhostel -- Educational travel and learning opportunities.
- Parks Canada -- Discover Canada's national parks, historic sites and conservation areas.
- Recreational Vehicles (RVs) -- everything you need to know before buying, renting or travelling with your RV.
- Seniors Home Exchange -- travel and save money by exchanging homes with other seniors.
- Seniors Travel Guide -- budget travel, adventure travel -- it's all on this site.
- Voyage.gc.ca -- essential information for Canadians planning a trip abroad.