Computer & Internet Policy
Cramahe Township Public Library
Patrons must read and agree to the Internet Access and Computer Use Policy to access the internet though Cramahe Township Public Library, or to use a public access computer. Failure to comply with policy and guidelines shall result in your computer being shut down without warning and/or loss of computer privileges at Cramahe Township Public Library.
1. Procedures & Rules
- Availablity of Rules
Computers at Cramahe Township Public Library are available on a first-come, first served basis. Users must check in with staff at the front desk, and must present their library card. Staff will give the patron an assigned computer card.
Computer usage time is limited to thirty minute sessions during busy periods and/ or at the discretion of the Librarian. At the end of each session, users must exit all windows on the computer by clicking on the X in the upper right hand corner of the screen and return the computer card to the front desk.
Librarians on duty will have full authority regarding use of all computers.
Cramahe Township Public Library is not liable for any damage to computer users peripherals or loss of data due to hardware or software malfunctions within the Library.
2. Acceptable Use
- Computer use for recreational purposes, including browsing remote sites for personal information gain.
- Uses related to the exchange of information and/or dialogue with remote sites, provided such exchange is not for commercial profit.
- Uses related to instruction, research, development and technology transfer on a not-for-profit basis.
3. Unacceptable Use
- Use of the internet for any illegal purpose.
- Accessing Peer-to-Peer Networking (P2P) is prohibited through Cramahe Township Public Library’s Internet.
- Illegal downloading of copyright materials (including by not limited to books, movies and music) is prohibited.
- Installing viruses or other programs designed to damage or alter software on the workstations, network or Internet, or seeking unauthorized access to any computer systems.
- Installing computer programs/applications of any sort on the workstations.
- Misrepresenting oneself as another user.
- Attempting to modify or gain access to files, passwords or other data belonging to others.
- Use that may be considered malicious or unethical.
- Sending unsolicited commercial material or unsolicited e-mail (spam).
Cramahe Township Public Library does not act in place of a parent. Responsibility for, and any restriction of a child’s use of the Internet, rests solely with his or her parents or legal guardian.
- Youth Computer and Internet Access Agreement
If a patron is under 16 years of age, the must have the Youth Computer and Internet Access Agreement signed by the legal parent/guardian.
- Workstation Use
Those under 16 years of age are required to follow the rules for those above 16 years of age, in addition to the rules stated in section 4. Failure to comply with the policies shall result in your computer being shut down without warning and/or loss of computer privileges at Cramahe Township Public Library.
Library staff will have full authority regarding use of all computers and the internet.
5. Accuracy of information
The Library is not responsible for its contents, nor can the Library endorse all the sources on the internet as accurate, complete, current or consistent with community values.
6. Responsibility for Activities
Users are responsible for their activities at the Cramahe Township Public Library computer workstations. Cramahe Township Public Library reserves the right to revoke privileges of any user who contravenes this Acceptable Use Policy, the Waiver Form or the General Rules of procedure.
7. Wireless Internet (WIFI)
The policies above also apply to users using the Wireless Internet or WiFi at Cramahe Township Public Library. Use of WiFi is also limited to the following:
Users are not permitted to use the WiFi from Cramahe Township Public Library from their homes. Failure to comply could result in being blocked from using the WiFi network permanently.
8. Library Visitors
- Computer Access
Those without a Library card may use the computer workstations at Cramahe Township Public Library by means of the Visitor Public Access card. Visitors must read and comply with the policies and guidelines stated in this document.
2.Availability Of Service
The visitor card can only be used by one visitor at a time. Visitor computer usage is limited to 15 minute sessions during busy periods and/or at the discretion of the Librarian.
Where permitted by copyright, users may print/photocopy their information for a fee. (Fax, scan to email is only available at the Colborne branch of the Cramahe Township Public Library). For rates, please see the services page of the library website: http://www.cramahelibrary.ca/services
Please remember that computer use is a privilege and that usage can be banned if misused. Anyone violating any of the rules or guidelines stated in this policy will be banned from the computers indefinitely. Offenders will be required to leave the library. Patrons using the Library’s Internet workstations for illegal purposes, will be subject to prosecution under the law. Vandalism or theft of Library property is illegal and will be reported to the police.